Graphic Novel Review: Blossoms in Autumn
- Credit: Archant
We're all getting old. It's one of life's inevitabilities; grey hairs, sagging skin, the odd wrinkle here and there.
But the aging process shouldn't mean the decline of sexual and romantic love, especially if you're faced with the prospect of spending your twilight years alone. That is the grim fate which awaited widower and former removals man Ulysses Varennes following his retirement at the early age of 59, and this is the story of how he avoided loneliness and found a new lease of life.
With his son consumed by work and no grandchildren to occupy his time, he finds himself drawn to Mediterranea Solenza, a former model who now runs the cheese shop once owned by her late mother.
The relationship that develops surprises them both, especially after it becomes physical, but soon proves that there's no age limit on either love or sex, and that miracles can come from the most unlikely of circumstances.
You may also want to watch:
Belgian writer Zidrou (why is it that European comics creators are often referred to by just one name?) and artist Aimée de Jongh - with translation by Matt Madden - have crafted a deeply sentimental study of an often overlooked romantic theme, that of finding love in later life.
Soft, subdued colours fit the gentle tone of the narrative, which offers an at-times brutally frank look at how the passage of time affects us all, but retains a sensitivity and compassion throughout.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 10 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
An uplifting, heartfelt exploration of the rich and diverse nature of love, which gives hope to all of us approaching our golden years that where there's life, there's hope!