GolfSixes: The players set for Centurion Club St Albans tournament
- Credit: Getty Images
The players competing in the inaugural European Tour GolfSixes tournament at Centurion Club in St Albans have been confirmed.
Sixteen nations will tee off in the team competition played over six holes of the Centurion Club on Saturday, May 6 and Sunday, May 7.
The two-man teams from England, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, France, India, Italy, Portugal, Scotland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, The Netherlands, USA and Wales will be split into four pools of four on the opening day.
The scoring in the initial group stages on the Saturday will be like football, with three points for a win, one for a draw and no points for a defeat.
The top two from each group will go forward to the quarter-final knockout stages on the Sunday, with hole difference not goal difference deciding the group if two countries are tied on points.
You may also want to watch:
Representing England in the short format game will be Ryder Cup stars Chris Wood and Andy Sullivan.
There could be an added edge for home fans, as reigning BMW PGA champion Wood and three-time European Tour winner Sullivan may find themselves in a home nations head-to-head against their rivals from Scotland and Wales.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 6 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 7 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
After claiming the winning point for Europe at the 2014 Ryder Cup, Jamie Donaldson will be aiming to put on a similar display for Wales when he teams up with Bradley Dredge to chase GolfSixes glory.
While, with three European Tour wins apiece, Richie Ramsay and Marc Warren will be determined to call on all of their experience to raise the Saltire above the Centurion Club on Sunday, May 7.
1 Chris Wood
2 Andy Sullivan
1 Matteo Manassero
2 Renato Paratore
1 Thongchai Jaidee
2 Kiradech Aphibarnrat
1 S.S.P Chawrasia
2 Chikkarangappa S
1 Sam Brazel
2 Scott Hend
1 Thorbjørn Olesen
2 Lucas Bjerregaard
1 Alexander Levy
2 Grégory Bourdy
1 Joost Luiten
2 Reinier Saxton
1 Pablo Larrazábal
2 Alejandro Cañizares
1 Richie Ramsay
2 Marc Warren
11) SOUTH AFRICA
1 Darren Fichardt
2 Brandon Stone
1 Paul Peterson
2 David Lipsky
1 Bradley Dredge
2 Jamie Donaldson
1 Nicolas Colsaerts
2 Thomas Detry
1 Joakim Lagergren
2 Johan Carlsson
1 Ricardo Gouveia
2 José-Filipe Lima
Teams are listed by rank of leading entered European Tour member from the 2017 Exemption Category List as at Monday, March 13.
• GolfSixes tickets are available now at www.golfsixes.com/tickets