Glyndebourne feel for St Albans Choral Society
GLYNDEBOURNE soprano Helen-Jane Howells will be joining St Albans Choral Society for a spring concert next Saturday, April 2, at St Paul’s Church in Hatfield Road.
Her voice has been described as “bell-like” and “radiant” and she has performed roles with both Glyndebourne Festival Opera and Touring Opera.
The concert, which starts at 7.30pm, will feature the works of Haydn, Holst and the award-winning contemporary composer Tarik O’Regan. It will open with Orchestra Nova performing Holst’s St Paul’s Suite, four dance movements written in 1913 during the same period as the composer produced The Planets.
Under the baton of George Vass, the choir will then perform O’Regan’s Triptych, a work in three movements – the first Threnody relating to the Israeli-Palestine conflict and the need for peace and reconciliation, the second a song of remembrance finishing with the words of Milton’s Paradise Lost and the third opening with rapid strings and growing to a final crescendo of triumph over death.
The last work of the concert will be the Maria Theresa Mass in B flat by Haydn, composed in 1799 and named after the empress consort of Francis II who was herself a soprano soloist.
You may also want to watch:
The Mass is scored for four soloists and chorus and Helen-Jane Howells will be joined by Lucie Spickova, alto, Matthew Long, tenor and Jonathan Saunders, baritone.
Tickets are �17 and �15, concessions �14 and �12 and �1 for children, available from the ticket line on 07884 231958, online at www.allaboutstalbans.com or on the door.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall