Get Happy? at St Albans’ Abbey Theatre
THE rise – and fall – of Superwoman is at the heart of the next production by the Company of Ten at the Abbey Theatre, St Albans, which opens tomorrow night in the Studio.
Happy Now? by Lucinda Coxon, looks at the way women’s expectations have changed over the past half a century – a world away from their mothers whose job was to look after the home and support their working husbands.
But the changes in the role of women have come at a price – not least because they now have an exhausting number of roles both on the work and domestic front.
What happens when today’s Superwoman finds she can’t cope with modern expectations is at the root of the play which asks the rhetorical question, “Happy now that you’ve got what you want?”
How the heroine Kitty, played by Jill Priest, and her husband Johnny, Evan Todd, answer the conundrum gives the play a darkly comic and contemporary edge.
Happy Now? runs until next Saturday, October 15, and tickets are available from the box office on 01727 857861 or online at www.abbeytheatre.org.uk
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time