Get Happy? at St Albans’ Abbey Theatre
THE rise – and fall – of Superwoman is at the heart of the next production by the Company of Ten at the Abbey Theatre, St Albans, which opens tomorrow night in the Studio.
Happy Now? by Lucinda Coxon, looks at the way women’s expectations have changed over the past half a century – a world away from their mothers whose job was to look after the home and support their working husbands.
But the changes in the role of women have come at a price – not least because they now have an exhausting number of roles both on the work and domestic front.
What happens when today’s Superwoman finds she can’t cope with modern expectations is at the root of the play which asks the rhetorical question, “Happy now that you’ve got what you want?”
How the heroine Kitty, played by Jill Priest, and her husband Johnny, Evan Todd, answer the conundrum gives the play a darkly comic and contemporary edge.
You may also want to watch:
Happy Now? runs until next Saturday, October 15, and tickets are available from the box office on 01727 857861 or online at www.abbeytheatre.org.uk
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 7 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 8 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 9 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 10 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed