Get Happy? at St Albans’ Abbey Theatre
THE rise – and fall – of Superwoman is at the heart of the next production by the Company of Ten at the Abbey Theatre, St Albans, which opens tomorrow night in the Studio.
Happy Now? by Lucinda Coxon, looks at the way women’s expectations have changed over the past half a century – a world away from their mothers whose job was to look after the home and support their working husbands.
But the changes in the role of women have come at a price – not least because they now have an exhausting number of roles both on the work and domestic front.
What happens when today’s Superwoman finds she can’t cope with modern expectations is at the root of the play which asks the rhetorical question, “Happy now that you’ve got what you want?”
How the heroine Kitty, played by Jill Priest, and her husband Johnny, Evan Todd, answer the conundrum gives the play a darkly comic and contemporary edge.
You may also want to watch:
Happy Now? runs until next Saturday, October 15, and tickets are available from the box office on 01727 857861 or online at www.abbeytheatre.org.uk
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development