German phrasing gives authentic twist to Bach concert at St Albans Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
A one-off concert of Bach’s choral masterpiece St John Passion is being held at St Albans Cathedral next Saturday, March 5.
It is being given by Harrow Choral Society accompanied by the acclaimed baroque orchestra Charivari Agréable using instruments of the period.
The emphasis is on authenticity and that will be further enhanced by the choir using a relatively recent translation that is in English but which replicates the phrasing of the original German.
The result will be a rendition of the work that sounds very much as the composer intended while making it easy for the audience to follow the story.
The soloists will be counter tenor Nicholas Hariades, tenor Tom Raskin, bass, Trevor Bowes, bass, and soprano, Hilary Musgrave.
You may also want to watch:
Both the Mayor of St Albans and the Mayor of Harrow, together with the Mayoresses will be attending the performance which starts at 7.30pm.
Ticket prices vary from £10 to £25 with under 16s half-price, available from the cathedral box office on 01727 890290 or the website.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans