German phrasing gives authentic twist to Bach concert at St Albans Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
A one-off concert of Bach’s choral masterpiece St John Passion is being held at St Albans Cathedral next Saturday, March 5.
It is being given by Harrow Choral Society accompanied by the acclaimed baroque orchestra Charivari Agréable using instruments of the period.
The emphasis is on authenticity and that will be further enhanced by the choir using a relatively recent translation that is in English but which replicates the phrasing of the original German.
The result will be a rendition of the work that sounds very much as the composer intended while making it easy for the audience to follow the story.
The soloists will be counter tenor Nicholas Hariades, tenor Tom Raskin, bass, Trevor Bowes, bass, and soprano, Hilary Musgrave.
You may also want to watch:
Both the Mayor of St Albans and the Mayor of Harrow, together with the Mayoresses will be attending the performance which starts at 7.30pm.
Ticket prices vary from £10 to £25 with under 16s half-price, available from the cathedral box office on 01727 890290 or the website.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved