George Papavgeris at Folk at the Maltings, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A SINGER with a national and international reputation will feature at Folk at the Maltings next Friday, February 1.
George Papavgeris is a songwriter whose work has been described as ‘songs for tomorrow’s tradition’. Since he began songwriting in 2001, he has written over 250 songs and released eight CDs of his material.
More than a dozen of his songs are have been covered by major singers on the folk scene, including Vin Garbutt, Andy Irvine, Roy Bailey, Jim Causley, Cloudstreet and Enda Kenny.
A quality songsmith, his versatility extends throughout the many facets of folk music and types of song. Now and then he also mirrors the music and rhythms of his native Greece.
He is well known on the UK folk scene having performed at clubs, concerts and festivals and has toured three times in Australia. Despite this, George, who lives in Chesham, still finds time to be active locally.
Appearing with him from 8pm at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans will be Daria Kulesh, a Russian-born singer-songwriter who plays both her own quirky compositions and British, Irish and Russian traditional material.
Daria has begun to make a name for herself in the local area and more widely including as a finalist in regional songwriting competitions.
- 1 St Albans restaurant wins big in Curry Oscars
- 2 Property Spotlight: A stunning pub conversion in central St Albans
- 3 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 4 Founding CAMRA pub is on the market
- 5 Rearranged waste and recycling bin collection dates for Christmas and January in St Albans
- 6 Boreham Wood 4-0 St Albans City: FA Cup fairy tale comes to an end for The Saints
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 8 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 9 Gift shop's £20K donation to cancer charity
- 10 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
Tickets cost £10, with concessions for students, children and unwaged people £8. They can bought on the door or in advance online at www.ticketsource.co.uk/ovo, by phone on 0844 870 0887 or in person at St Albans Tourist & Information Centre in Market Place.
For further information see www.stalbansfolkmusic.org.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org