Games Review: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11
With five new courses to test your driving and putting skills (out of a total of 17), more than 25plus players to chose from and a random hole generator, this is the most comprehensive Tiger Woods game you will ever play.
IT’S been a tough year for Tiger Woods. After struggling to recover from injury, he then suffered a spectacular fall from grace when he was exposed as a serial philanderer. With one commentator only half-joking that Tiger should change his name to Cheetah, it looked like it was all over for the golfing legend.
But Woods is made of sterner stuff. Having checked into a sex clinic earlier this year in an effort to clean up his act, the billionaire golfer is now firmly on the comeback trail. And it’s not only the real-life Woods who’s managing to recapture some of his old magic as his videogame doppelg�nger has also put in a sparkling performance in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11.
The undeniable highlight of this year’s game is the inclusion of the Ryder Cup. Players can choose to captain teams from either Europe or the USA, competing for bragging rights over the Celtic Manor course in Wales that will host the real deal in October. After selecting your squad, solo players can jump in and out of matches after each hole, while online matches involve a full compliment of 24 players, with 12 on each side.
Before taking on the challenge of the Ryder Cup you’ll probably want to get to grips with the game’s new Experience Points (XP) system. Almost everything you do earns XP points – from hitting the fairway to sinking a birdie or taking on Skill Challenges – and these can be spent on improving various aspects of your game. There’s also a new Focus Meter. Sitting in the lower left-hand corner of the screen, it limits abilities like power boost, ball spin, putt previews and an all-new accuracy boost, adding a degree of strategy that wasn’t there before. You start each match with a finite amount of focus, so you’ll have to pick and choose when to use it, although it recharges over time.
With five new courses to test your driving and putting skills (out of a total of 17), more than 25plus players to choose from and a random hole generator, this is the most comprehensive Tiger Woods game you will ever play.
Publisher: EA Sports
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 5 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 6 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 9 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 10 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
Format: Xbox 360 (also on PS3, Wii)
Age rating: 3+
Score: 4/5 Stars