Gala evening looms at National Youth Ballet for St Albans star Basil
- Credit: Archant
Talented young dancer Basil James is performing in this year’s National Youth Ballet (NYB) season including a gala evening at Sadler’s Wells.
Basil, 14, from St Albans, is a pupil at Tring Performing Arts School and began dancing when he was only three, attending Let’s Dance in the city.
He has been offered a scholarship with the National Youth Ballet - one of 120 young dancers from across the country who have been offered places with tne NYB - and early next month will dance on the stage of Sadler’s Wells in a performance which includes new commissions and performances from returning alumni in memory of NYN founder and artistic director Jill Tookey, who passed away in March.
NYB is led by professional dancers and choreographers who work with young dancers aged from eight to 18, Basil said: “It is an honour to have been offered a scholarship, and I feel especially privileged to have been chosen to appear on the posters for this year’s performances.”
Before the Sadler’s Wells gala on Sunday, September 4, he will be appearing with NYB next Friday and Saturday, August 26 and 27, at the Hawth Theatre, Crawley.
You may also want to watch:
Past students now work for leading companies including Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures. Notable alumi include choreographer Drew McOnie, principal at Royal Danish Ballet, Sir Gregory Dean, Downton Abbey actress Jessica Brown Findlay and the principal of Birmingham Royal Ballet, Tyrone Singleton.
NYB numbers Carlos Acosta, Sir Matthew Bourne, Darcey Bussell, Joanna Lumley and Wayne Sleep among its patrons.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 10 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant