Folkie team-up at St Albans music venue
- Credit: Archant
Folk at the Maltings will bring together Herts guitar duo Oka Vanga, singer songwriter Mike Excell and New Roots 2016 finalists Jon and Alfie next Friday, February 5.
Oka Vanga is Angela Meyer and William Cox, a successful folk and roots duo whose talent for writing original music has been critically acclaimed. Their first album Pilgrim was awarded Instrumental Album of the Year by FATEA Magazine in 2015. They continue to receive positive reviews for their rich repertoire of songs and dynamic live performances with the release of Tales of Eyam in 2015.
Angela hails from Cape Town, South Africa, and plays a Burguet Nylon string guitar and Taylor Steel string guitar while William, from London, plays a Lowden steel string guitar.
Mike Excell is a singer/songwriter/guitarist, performing mainly original songs on subjects ranging from climate change to cricket.
He is a regular at Hertford White Horse Folk Club, resident singer at Hitchin Folk Club and has also played at other folk clubs around Herts including Royston, Redbourn and Watford.
You may also want to watch:
New Roots 2015 finalists Jon and Alfie are Jonathon Dyer and Alfie Gidley, an instrumental duo, based in the South West. Jon wields the flute while Alfie threads harmonies and accompaniment on acoustic guitar.
They formed at Falmouth University early in 2013 and have gone on to play at major festivals such as Sidmouth Folk Week and Bromyard Folk Festival. Their repertoire ranges between Irish, English, Scottish folk tunes and Klezmer.
The concert starts at 8pm at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans. Tickets at £10, students £8, Under 16 £6 are available on the door or in advance from here, by phone on 0333 666 3366 or in person at St Albans Tourist & Information Centre.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills