Folk singers pair up at Maltings Arts Theatre, St Albans
TWO local folk singers with a national reputation will be guests at a concert at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans next Friday, December 7.
Individually, and in combination with a variety of well-known singers and bands, Lynne Heraud and Pat Turner have both served long apprenticeships on the shop floor of folk music.
Between them they play guitar, recorder, English concertina and a variety of whistles (including swanee, policeman’s and referee’s), list a spoons workshop in their hall of fame, and are not in the least averse to dressing up or dancing when a song requires it.
But they both agree that their voices are their most important instruments and the resulting style is a unique blend of song, harmony and humour.
The concert will open with New Roots 2011 finalist, fiddle player Matthew Tighe, Having tried many styles of music Matt decided that Irish music suited him best and his fiddle playing continues to go from strength to strength.
Since New Roots 2011 he has returned to perform in St Albans on a number of occasions, including playing as a duo with local musician Joe Devine.
Folk at the Maltings starts at 8pm and tickets cost �10, with concessions for students, children and unwaged people �8. They can bought on the door or in advance, by booking online at www.ticketsource.co.uk/ovo, by phone on 0844 870 0887 or in person at St Albans Tourist & Information Centre, Town Hall, Market Place.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 6 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 7 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 8 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 9 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 10 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
For further information see www.stalbansfolkmusic.org.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org