Folk singers pair up at Maltings Arts Theatre, St Albans
TWO local folk singers with a national reputation will be guests at a concert at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans next Friday, December 7.
Individually, and in combination with a variety of well-known singers and bands, Lynne Heraud and Pat Turner have both served long apprenticeships on the shop floor of folk music.
Between them they play guitar, recorder, English concertina and a variety of whistles (including swanee, policeman’s and referee’s), list a spoons workshop in their hall of fame, and are not in the least averse to dressing up or dancing when a song requires it.
But they both agree that their voices are their most important instruments and the resulting style is a unique blend of song, harmony and humour.
The concert will open with New Roots 2011 finalist, fiddle player Matthew Tighe, Having tried many styles of music Matt decided that Irish music suited him best and his fiddle playing continues to go from strength to strength.
You may also want to watch:
Since New Roots 2011 he has returned to perform in St Albans on a number of occasions, including playing as a duo with local musician Joe Devine.
Folk at the Maltings starts at 8pm and tickets cost �10, with concessions for students, children and unwaged people �8. They can bought on the door or in advance, by booking online at www.ticketsource.co.uk/ovo, by phone on 0844 870 0887 or in person at St Albans Tourist & Information Centre, Town Hall, Market Place.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 10 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
For further information see www.stalbansfolkmusic.org.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org