Focus on Thomas Paine is radical departure for St Albans arts base
THE ethos of Magna Carta is highlighted in a programme of words and music celebrating the life of Tom Paine at Trestle Arts Base in St Albans next Sunday, June 13.
The radical 18th century propagandist and voice of the common man led an extraordinary life which is captured in the show entitled Thomas Paine: The Liberty Tree.
It interweaves Paine’s own words from his letters and the pamphlets which made him one of the most influential and dangerous writers of his age with extracts from newspaper reports, diaries, letters and other documents of the times.
The songs of performers Robb Johnson and Leon Rosselson add another dimension to the story, reflecting Paine’s radical ideas and evaluating them in the context of the 21st century.
Leon is familiar on the English music scene from singing his own satirical songs in the topical BBC programme of the sixties, That Was The Week That Was. He has also published 17 children’s books and continues to write and perform his own songs.
Robb is a British musician and songwriter who is known for his mix of satire and wit.
The performance at the arts base in Russet Drive starts at 7pm and tickets at �10 with concessions �8 ae available from the St Albans Festival box office on 01727 844488, Trestle on 01727 850950 or online at www.trestle.org.uk
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 6 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 7 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 8 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 9 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt