Focus on rock legends at Alban Arena
ROCK fans will be treated to an exclusive triple bill of performances from some true legends at the Alban Arena next week. Opening the Classic Legends of Rock show on Sunday, November 1, will be the Strawbs, performing a special up-close and personal acou
ROCK fans will be treated to an exclusive triple bill of performances from some true legends at the Alban Arena next week.
Opening the Classic Legends of Rock show on Sunday, November 1, will be the Strawbs, performing a special up-close and personal acoustic set of their hit material, as well as previewing some tracks from their new album Dancing to the Devil's Beat.
This year marks the 40th anniversary of their first album and the front men of the classic 1970s line-up - David Cousins, Dave Lambert and Chas Cronk - continue to tour regularly as the Acoustic Strawbs.
In their heyday the band scored huge chart success in Britain and toured with the likes of Santana, The Eagles and Peter Frampton.
The show also provides a last opportunity to hear Wishbone Ash's classic album Argus performed in its entirety by Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash. Martin was the founder member, lead vocalist, bassist and creative force behind the original line-up which sold millions of albums and toured worldwide.
He remains faithful to the original blueprint of Wishbone Ash and performs a wide variety of classic material from the band.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 3 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 4 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 5 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 6 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 7 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 8 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 9 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 10 Investigation over unauthorised development on Green Belt site
Focus, with their unique blend of progressive rock will the closing act of the evening. One of the most successful and appreciated of all Dutch pop-rock exports from the seventies, their hits came in the form of Hocus Pocus, House of the King and Sylvia.
Despite their widespread success, wrangling within the group brought about its end.
But after a carefully-planned comeback with a well-received album Focus 8, a new Focus era has started with a fantastic line-up including founder member and musical genius Thijs van Leer and original drummer Pierre van der Linden.
For tickets, call the Alban Arena box office on 01727 844488.