Five Star Swing will be shining bright at Harpenden Public Halls
THE FIVE Star Swing experience heads back to Harpenden Public Halls next Sunday, February 13, following their recent appearance at Dame Vera Lynn’s charity ball in London.
The show entitled In The Mood features a host of classic big band/swing songs from artists such as Frank Sinatra and Glenn Miller through to Jools Holland-style jazz.
Appearing are former Ivy Benson musician Simone Smith and her husband Chris from the band of Glenn Miller’s brother Herb.
Chris said: “I’ve been brought up with this style of music as my father, Chris Smith Snr, played trombone for Frank Sinatra on his European tours.
“It’s great that there’s a strong resurgence in jazz and swing music enjoyed by all generations.”
You may also want to watch:
Simone, who sings and plays lead alto saxophone in the band, has also played with such prestigious artists as Paul Weller and John Williams as well as performing a saxophone solo on the Paul Merton TV Show.
Bandleader Chris, who also sings as well as playing trumpet and piano, is well known in the jazz world for his arrangements and compositions frequently played on Jazz FM and BBC Radio 2.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
The concert starts at 7.30pm and tickets at �13 with concessions �9 are available from the Public Halls on 01582 767525.