Five Star Swing at the Radlett Centre
- Credit: Archant
FIVE Star Swing will be performing their Hits from the Blitz show at the Radlett Centre next Wednesday, July 24.
It follows their tour date with Military Wives and will feature a host of classic swing and sing-a-long songs from the 1940s including by Vera Lynn and Glenn Miller.
Simone, who sings and plays alto saxophone in the band, has also performed with prestigious artists such as New Squadronaires, John Williams, Ivy Benson Show Band and a saxophone solo on the Paul Merton TV show.
Bandleader Chris Smith also sings, plays trumpet and piano and is well known in the jazz world for his arrangements and compositions which are frequently played on Jazz FM and BBC Radio 2.
His varied career includes performances on Top of the Pops, Breakfast TV with Herb Miller – Glenn Miller’s brother – and a solo performance in the Michael Caine film Silver Bears.
Chris said: “ It’s great that there’s a strong resurgence in jazz and swing music enjoyed by all generations, mainly thanks to artists such as Robbie Williams, Jamie Cullum and Michael Bublé.
“One of my favourites songs is In The Mood. We were honoured to be asked to play for Dame Vera Lynn at her London Charity Ball and a few years back to play for the original Dad’s Army cast.”
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
He added|: “I’ve been brought up with this style of music as my father, Chris Smith Snr, played trombone with Frank Sinatra on his European tours. We’re looking forward to bringing the show to the town.”
Hits from the Blitz gets underway at 8pm and tickets at £15 with concessions £14 can be obtained from the Radlett Centre box office on 01923 859291.
n Based on the best-selling children’s book by Claire Freedman and Ben Cort, Aliens Love Underpants is brought to life on the stage for the first time.
Children are invited to come and see the show dressed up either as their favourite alien from the book or one they have made up.
The show is suitable for children aged three and upwards and runs for 50 minutes. Tickets are £12.