Film week follows Arena’s annual summer shutdown
- Credit: Archant
A two-week summer shutdown at the Alban Arena gets underway on Monday, August 10, to enable the city centre theatre to be cleaned, repainted and refreshed.
But it reopens on Monday, August 24, with the first week of the new season devoted to films.
They start on with Mr Holmes, starring Sir Ian McKellan as the eponymous Sherlock, who returns from a journey to Japan where, in search of a rare plant with powerful restorative qualities, he has witnessed the devastation of nuclear warfare and realises he has to search for answers to the mysteries of life and love before it is too late.
Mr Holmes can be seen at 7.30pm on Tuesday, August 25, and Thursday, August 27, with a 1.30pm matinee on Wednesday, August 26.
Escobar: Paradise Lost, the story one of the most dangerous and notorious drug lords of all time, is being shown at 7.30pm on Wednesday, August 26, and 1.30pm the following day, August 27.
You may also want to watch:
When young surfer Nick falls for Escobar’s niece, he finds his life on the line as he is pulled into the dangerous world of the family business.
Concluding the week is Minions, being shown at 11am and 2.30pm on Friday, August 28. which tells how the single-celled yellow organisms search for a master to grovel to - and find super villainous Scarlet Overkill.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 9 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 10 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
During the closure period, the Arena’s box office phone lines (01727 844488) will be open from 10am–3pm Monday to Friday only. Tickets can also be purchased from the Arena website at www.alban-arena.co.uk.
They are £5 for film matinees and £7 or £5 for concessions for evening screenings.