Film Review: Zookeeper
2011– 102mn – PG
Directed by Frank Coraci. Starring Kevin James, Rosario Dawson, Donnie Wahlberg. Review by Walter Nichols.
No film has ever epitomized the words “embarrassingly unnecessary” better than Zookeeper. Here is what Columbia Pictures would like you to spend your hard-earned cash: a film in which B-list television actor Kevin James plays a zookeeper who is helped by the talking animals of his zoo (voiced by Adam Sandler, Cher, Sylvester Stallone, Nick Nolte and others) to find love with the beautiful Kate (Rosario Dawson).
As you’d expect, the film is lazily sentimental and packed with uninventive slapstick (read “people falling over as animals slapping their foreheads”). It’s agonisingly charmless and synthetic, and no one comes out of it with their dignity intact.
Zookeeper isn’t especially offensive, but the truth is quite simple: popular movies shouldn’t have to be as bad as this.
Star rating: 0 out of 5 stars
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 9 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt