Evening of Flanders and Swann at Maltings, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
An evening full of the comic lyrics and gentle melodies of Michael Flanders and Donald Swann is being held at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans tomorrow night (Friday).
It is the latest in a series of musical extravaganzas held by local theatre company OVO in recent years at their Maltings home,
Adam Nichols, OVO’s artistic director and one of the show’s singers, commented: “Flanders and Swann’s work is amongst the most recognisable in the Great British Songbook. Although the songs may pre-date some members of the audience they possess a genuinely timeless quality.”
He went on: “What’s more, thanks to the plethora of archive material on YouTube, and a bawdy homage by contemporary British comedians Armstrong and Miller, Flanders and Swann’s music now has a whole new generation of fans.”
In the show well-known numbers such as Slow Train, a nostalgic homage to the railway stations scheduled for closure by Beeching, and A Transport of Delight, a tribute to the humble London double decker bus, are presented alongside some of the duo’s lesser-known songs including The Reluctant Cannibal and All Gall.
Flanders and Swann Unplugged is being performed at 8pm and tickets, priced £10 and £7.50, are available from www.ticketsource.co.uk/ovo or on 0844 870 0887.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 6 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 7 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area