Evening of Flanders and Swann at Maltings, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
An evening full of the comic lyrics and gentle melodies of Michael Flanders and Donald Swann is being held at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans tomorrow night (Friday).
It is the latest in a series of musical extravaganzas held by local theatre company OVO in recent years at their Maltings home,
Adam Nichols, OVO’s artistic director and one of the show’s singers, commented: “Flanders and Swann’s work is amongst the most recognisable in the Great British Songbook. Although the songs may pre-date some members of the audience they possess a genuinely timeless quality.”
He went on: “What’s more, thanks to the plethora of archive material on YouTube, and a bawdy homage by contemporary British comedians Armstrong and Miller, Flanders and Swann’s music now has a whole new generation of fans.”
In the show well-known numbers such as Slow Train, a nostalgic homage to the railway stations scheduled for closure by Beeching, and A Transport of Delight, a tribute to the humble London double decker bus, are presented alongside some of the duo’s lesser-known songs including The Reluctant Cannibal and All Gall.
You may also want to watch:
Flanders and Swann Unplugged is being performed at 8pm and tickets, priced £10 and £7.50, are available from www.ticketsource.co.uk/ovo or on 0844 870 0887.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 6 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
- 10 Vote for your favourite restaurant in Chamber of Commerce poll