Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards has landed in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
After having his life story turned into a movie starring Taron Egerton, Hugh Jackman and Christopher Walken, Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards will be dropping into St Albans next week.
The self-taught ski jumper and all-round British sporting hero brings his incredible tale to The Alban Arena on Thursday, May 25, at 7.30pm.
The former amateur downhill speed skier went on to become Great Britain’s first Olympic ski-jumper, missing out on medals by some distance, but winning the hearts of the nation with his plucky, positive attitude and down-to-earth persona.
Emerging as a star of the Calgary 1988 Winter Olympics, he returned to Britain as an overnight sporting celebrity.
With television appearances and coverage of his efforts spanning the globe, fans praised Eddie for his unbreakable drive to do what he loved.
You may also want to watch:
In Try Hard, Eddie talks through his incredible life-journey; from self-learning ski-jumping and being shunned by the sporting establishment, to the extensive surgery to rebuild his face and body following years of spectacular crashes on the snow as he set out to break world records in stunt jumping and speed-skiing.
He also suffered bankruptcy through trustees’ mismanagement, gained a Law degree, and even became a most unlikely pop-star in Finland.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 6 Shortages crisis hits district
- 7 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 8 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
Tickets cost £16.
• Call the box office on 01727 844488 or book online at www.alban-arena.co.uk