Duo taking the lieder to St Albans church
- Credit: Archant
Two world-renowned musicians come to St Albans next Sunday, July 20, to give a lieder recital as part of a weekend festival
Baritone Wolfgang Holzmair and pianist Imogen Cooper are appearing at 8.15pm in St Saviour’s Church to take part in the event promoted by St Albans International Organ Festival.
The Austrian baritone delighted the audience in St Albans Cathedral with his singing at last year’s performance of the Britten War Requiem.
He is back in St Albans with his regular accompanist to perform music by Franz Schubert and Hugo Wolf.
At 3pm on the same day the Zelkova String Quartet perform music by Frank Bridge, Beethoven and Shostakovich in St Michael’s Church.
You may also want to watch:
Zelkova are a young prizewinning string quartet founded at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester who are building up an enviable reputation with performances across the UK and Europe.
Prior to that, St Albans International Organ Festival in association with the London Organ Improvisation Course presents a programme of spontaneous music making when Franz Josef Stoiber plays on the organ at 5.30pm on Thursday, July 17, at St Peter’s Church, in St Albans.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 10 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
He will demonstrate his improvisation skills on various pieces of music including a French Suite and Three Choral preludes.
The box office and full details of the concerts can be found at www.organfestival.com