Discover German side of the Somme at Herts at War lecture
- Credit: Archant
Military historian and television personality Peter Barton is giving a lecture next week as part of the Herts at War series.
He will be speaking on the little-known German perspective of World War One’s Battle of the Somme from 7.30pm next Wednesday, January 18, at the University of Herts’ de Havilland campus in Hatfield.
Peter is regarded as one of the top historians in the field of military history, having led many of the most important investigations and battlefield archaeological digs in recent generations.
His talk will introduce new evidence and images to the public domain for the first time, the result of his recent work in German archives as part of a ground-breaking BBC series.
It is part of the free lecture series organised by Hertfordshire’s Great War centenary organisation, Herts at War.
Dan Hill, of Herts at War, said: “We are delighted to welcome yet another globally renowned historian to the Herts at War series to help raise awareness of the Great War and to tell some of the lesser known history around the subject.
“It is a real source of pride to bring such eminent names to our county to share their research and to share their fascinating insights into such an important and emotive subject.”
Places are limited and those wishing to attend must reserve their ticket via here.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 6 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 7 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close