Dexter Kennedy to give organ recital at St Albans church
- Credit: Archant
Members of the audience at this month’s St Albans International Organ Festival Saturday Recital will find themselves transported back in time by 300 years to the 17th century and the majestic grandeur of Baroque Germany.
Dexter Kennedy will be making his International Organ Festival debut on Saturday, March 25 at 5.30pm in St Saviour’s Church.
Winner of the 2014 interpretation prize at the Chartres organ competition, Dexter is now much in demand as a recitalist across North America and Europe.
The first piece on the programme is Toccata Septima by Georg Muffat.
A French-born Scotsman with a love of Germany, Muffat was one of the most cosmopolitan musicians of his day, and his sparkling music is filled with the influences of his multi-cultural background.
Music by Buxtehude and Böhm follow, both of whom had a profound influence on the young JS Bach, before moving on to the glitz and glamour of the court of Frederick the Great in Berlin and music by JG Graun and CPE Bach, who were the celebrity musicians of their day.
The finale of the programme is two pieces from the great JS Bach.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 3 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 6 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 7 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 8 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 9 St Albans is one of UK's worst locations for hay fever
- 10 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
First, a beautiful chorale inspired by the Ten Commandments, and then the glittering Prelude and Fugue in C to bring the recital to a close.
The recital will be followed by a reception when the audience will have the opportunity to meet the soloist.
Entry to the recital is free, with a retiring collection in aid of the International Organ Festival Society.
• Full details of all the concerts in the 2016-17 Recital Series can be found at www.organfestival.com