David takes on Goliath in St Albans and Harpenden churches
- Credit: Archant
A semi-staged production of David and Goliath is being performed by St Albans Chamber Opera (SACO) in two local churches.
It can be seen at St Saviour’s Church in St Albans next Saturday, June 4, and again at St John’s Church, Harpenden, on Saturday, June 11. Both performances start at 8pm.
SACO has been commissioned by the trustees of Alan Detweiler, who died unexpectedly in 2012, to put on a performance of his opera David and Goliath.
First performed in Southwark Cathedral in the 1970s, it is both a dramatic and lyrical piece, lasting about an hour with a strong involvement from the SACO chorus along with a small brass, wind and percussion band and three soloists.
Taking the role of Saul, King of the Israelites, is Paul Sheehan while Goliath, champion of the Philistines, is sung by Jonathan Saunders.
Instead of a boy treble as David, SACO has the role sung by soprano Amy Spruce. The narrator is Stephen De Silva.
The musical director is David Ireson, and the semi-staging is by Peter Kestner.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 4 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 5 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 6 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 7 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 8 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 9 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 10 St Albans Striders shine as Midweek Road Race League makes welcome return
Tickets are £15, available from 01727 869069 or on the door.