Dancing in St Michael's Street, St Albans
RECORD crowds enjoyed the combination of warm weather and dancing at the annual St Michael s Street Folk Evening last week. Eleven dance groups representing traditions from all over England together with Scotland, Spain and the Appalachian Mountains of th
RECORD crowds enjoyed the combination of warm weather and dancing at the annual St Michael's Street Folk Evening last week.
Eleven dance groups representing traditions from all over England together with Scotland, Spain and the Appalachian Mountains of the United States danced in the St Albans street which was closed off to traffic for two hours.
They included Wicked Brood from Bricket Wood, performing dances from the Welsh borders, St Albans Morris Men and Woodside Morris Men from Watford who perform the quieter dances from the Cotswolds and Ramrugge Morris from Knebworth and Whitethorn Morris from Harrow who take their dances from the North West of England.
Stevenage Sword Dancers performed their intricate rapper dances outside and inside the pubs with newer group Verulam Rapper appearing outside only.
English Miscellany danced in a variety of English styles while the Hiel and Toe Club from Harpenden represented the Scottish community and Flamenco Grande performed dances from Spain.
Tappalachian featured the showy dances from the Appalachians performed, as the name implies, in tap shoes.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 6 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 9 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
There was also music in all four St Michael's Street pubs including Comhalthas Ceolteori Eireann, duo Run of the Mill, the Allstars from the local contemporary folk music scene and the Swan Vesta Social Club performing music from Cuba and beyond.
A spokesperson for the folk evening said the weather was ideal on the night and the atmosphere was excellent after attracting record crowds.