Dancing in St Michael's Street, St Albans
RECORD crowds enjoyed the combination of warm weather and dancing at the annual St Michael s Street Folk Evening last week. Eleven dance groups representing traditions from all over England together with Scotland, Spain and the Appalachian Mountains of th
RECORD crowds enjoyed the combination of warm weather and dancing at the annual St Michael's Street Folk Evening last week.
Eleven dance groups representing traditions from all over England together with Scotland, Spain and the Appalachian Mountains of the United States danced in the St Albans street which was closed off to traffic for two hours.
They included Wicked Brood from Bricket Wood, performing dances from the Welsh borders, St Albans Morris Men and Woodside Morris Men from Watford who perform the quieter dances from the Cotswolds and Ramrugge Morris from Knebworth and Whitethorn Morris from Harrow who take their dances from the North West of England.
Stevenage Sword Dancers performed their intricate rapper dances outside and inside the pubs with newer group Verulam Rapper appearing outside only.
You may also want to watch:
English Miscellany danced in a variety of English styles while the Hiel and Toe Club from Harpenden represented the Scottish community and Flamenco Grande performed dances from Spain.
Tappalachian featured the showy dances from the Appalachians performed, as the name implies, in tap shoes.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
There was also music in all four St Michael's Street pubs including Comhalthas Ceolteori Eireann, duo Run of the Mill, the Allstars from the local contemporary folk music scene and the Swan Vesta Social Club performing music from Cuba and beyond.
A spokesperson for the folk evening said the weather was ideal on the night and the atmosphere was excellent after attracting record crowds.