Company of Ten’s Much Ado About Nothing at the Abbey Theatre, St Albans
THERE will be Much Ado About Shakespeare over the next few weeks as the Company of Ten prepares for a full-length play and a special production on the sonnets.
Much Ado About Nothing runs from tomorrow night (Friday) until March 4 at the Abbey Theatre, St Albans, featuring many of the theatre group’s most accomplished actors.
In the golden sunshine and sudden showers of early September 1900, the victorious band of soldiers led by Don Peter is invited by Leonato to rest at his grand Georgian home in the Irish countryside.
Leonato has a pretty daughter and a clever, witty niece and so — soldiers being soldiers — romance, bad behaviour, tricks and parties are the order of the day. But malevolent Don John, defeated in battle by his brother Don Peter and captured, is out for revenge.
Much Ado is a comedy so everyone is sure to find happiness at last despite a winding plot and moments of near tragedy.
Together with a special production Shakespeare and Love – Sonnets in the Studio from Monday, March 5, until Saturday, March 10, the play is the Company of Ten’s contribution to the Royal Shakespeare Company’s Open Stages project.
Tickets are available from the box office on 01727 857861 or online at www.abbeytheatre.org.uk
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 6 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 9 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 10 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group