Company of Ten’s A Number at Abbey Theatre, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A PLAY written in response to the pioneering cloning achievement which was Dolly the Sheep is the next production from The Company of Ten in the Abbey Theatre Studio.
A Number by one of the theatre’s most influential playwrights, Caryl Churchill, asks the question, “What makes us who we are?” and tells the story of Salter and his cloned friend Bernard who live happily together until the truth starts to emerge.
Director Roger Bartlett said: “At the time many people feared the possibilities of where this cloning would lead. Would we soon be able to clone ourselves? Would we be able to order designer babies? Could we, indeed should we?
“In this play, Churchill wonders whether we are simply the product of science and genetics, or are we actually more than that? Are we shaped and moulded into who we are by our experiences, our relationships and our society?
“This is the central question at the heart of this tragic drama about love and loss, grief and human weakness. It is about giving up and starting over again and it is about courage. This is what really attracted me to the play and this is what made me want to direct it.”
You may also want to watch:
Performances from 8pm run from April 18 to 27 with a Sunday matinee at 2.30pm on April 21. To book tickets go to www.abbeytheatre.org.uk or alternatively call the box office on 10727 857861.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 6 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 7 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 8 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 9 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans