Chris Smith Big Band at the Radlett Centre
- Credit: Archant
TRUMPETER Chris Smith and his wife Simone have teamed up with the Radlett Centre to present The Big Band this Sunday, January 13.
Also featuring Tony Bennett’s trombonist, Michael Innes, the show promises a host of classic big band/swing songs from artists such as Frank Sinatra and Glenn Miller through to Jools Holland.
Simone, who sings and plays lead alto saxophone in the band, has also performed with prestigious artists such as Paul Weller, John Williams, the Ivy Benson Show Band and played a saxophone solo on the Paul Merton TV show.
Bandleader Chris, who lives in Radlett with Simone, also sings, plays trumpet and piano and is well known in the jazz world for his arrangements and compositions, frequently played on Jazz FM and BBC Radio 2.
His varied career includes performances on Top of the Pops, Breakfast TV with Herb Miller (Glenn Miller’s brother) and a solo performance on the Michael Caine film Silver Bears.
You may also want to watch:
Chris said: “It’s great that there’s a strong resurgence in jazz and swing music enjoyed by all generations, mainly thanks to artists such as Robbie Williams, Jamie Cullum and Michael Buble.”
The performance begins at 7.30pm and tickets are £12 with concessions £11 available from the box office on 01923 859291.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim
- 8 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 9 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 10 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner