Choirs combine in cathedral
- Credit: Archant
A joint concert marking the long friendship between St Albans Chamber Choir with the German twin-town choir the Wormser Kantorei is being held in the cathedral next Saturday, April 11.
It will feature Mozart’s C Minor Mass, composed in thanksgiving for his wife Constanze’s recovery from illness and first performed in Salzburg in 1783.
The programme also includes the showpiece for solo soprano, Mozart’s Exsultate, jubilate, written 10 years before the Mass and well-known for its final movement, a jubilant Alleluia.
The two choirs will also perform another classical masterpiece, Haydn’s Te Deum, commissioned by the Austrian Empress and premiered in 1800 before a distinguished audience including Admiral Nelson and Lady Hamilton.
The soloists for the evening will be Kim Sheehan (soprano, pictured), Cecilia Bailey (soprano), Oliver Martin-Smith (tenor) and Jonathan Saunders (bass).
The choirs will be joined by the Amadeus Chamber Orchestra and jointly conducted by the directors of the two choirs, John Gibbons and Stefan Merkelbach.
The two choirs have been performing together biennially in St Albans and in Germany since 1969.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Author's new book explores mental health during the pandemic
Tickets are £25, £18, £14 (reserved) £10 (unreserved) and are available from the cathedral box office on 01727 890290 or online at www.stalbanscathedral.org. Accompanied children are half price as are unreserved seats.