Choir raises Ugandan charity cash with St Albans concert
THOUSANDS of pounds were raised for a charity which supports several Ugandan projects as a result of a concert last month. Over 400 people filled the main hall of St Columba s College in St Albans for the concert given by the Cowbridge Male Voice Choir wh
THOUSANDS of pounds were raised for a charity which supports several Ugandan projects as a result of a concert last month.
Over 400 people filled the main hall of St Columba's College in St Albans for the concert given by the Cowbridge Male Voice Choir which raised �3,000 for Christian Relief Uganda (CRU).
It was the third visit of the choir to St Albans in five years and they volunteer to give the concert, paying most of their own expenses. They were supported by local pianist Judith King.
St Columba's allowed the school to be used free of charge and among the guests were the Mayor and Mayoress of St Albans, Cllr Chris Oxley and his wife Marion.
You may also want to watch:
The Mayor commented: "My wife and I became involved in Africa through the immense efforts of St Albans High School for Girls to provide running water for a school in Tanzania. The CRU's efforts parallel those we have experienced direct but in Uganda."
As well as supporting a 330-pupil primary school, a school for the deaf and a vocational training school in Uganda, the charity also sponsors the education of a further 200 needy children in the remote villages to the east of the country.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 4 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 7 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 8 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 9 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Further information can be obtained from Jim Tryon who lives in St Albans but has visited Uganda several times on 01727 873690 or via the website www.christianreliefuganda.org