All aboard for G&S opera at Maltings Open Air Festival at St Albans’ Roman Theatre
- Credit: Robert Workman Photographer
A Gilbert & Sullivan opera has been added to The Maltings Open Air Theatre Festival programme.
The two-week festival opens at the Roman Theatre of Verulamium in St Albans this Friday.
Tickets are now on sale for two performances of H.M.S. Pinafore at the Roman heritage site.
Charles Court Opera (CCO) emerge from lockdown to present an outdoor staging of their Offie Best Opera award-winning production.
Adam Nichols, the artistic director of The Maltings Theatre, said: “I’m delighted to welcome the fabulous Charles Court Opera to add their customary wit and irreverence to our entertaining outdoor programme at The Maltings Open Air Theatre Festival.”
There will be two performances of the H.M.S. Pinafore on Monday, August 24, at 3pm and 6pm.
CCO are regarded as “the masters of G&S in small spaces”.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 3 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 4 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 5 Blue Plaque commemorating life of Duchess of Marlborough
- 6 Man kicked, punched and knocked unconscious outside St Albans bank
- 7 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 8 St Albans set for heatwave and 31C sunshine in mid-August
- 9 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 10 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
Artistic director John Savournin said: “We are thrilled to be getting our singers and production teams back to work, and bringing some much-needed pleasure to audiences at this trying time.”
The eight-strong cast, led by Joseph Shovelton as Sir Joseph Porter, is directed by John Savournin in this specially customised outdoor staging, with musical direction from David Eaton.
H.M.S. Pinafore is the earliest enduring success of Gilbert and Sullivan’s famous collaboration and a firm favourite with audiences.
Gilbert uses the strictly hierarchical society of life on board the H.M.S. Pinafore to satirise the rigidity of the British class system, in this topsy-turvy tale of love levelling all ranks.
With many well-known songs, including I am the Monarch of the Sea, I’m called little Buttercup and He is an Englishman, this production promises 90 minutes of rollicking choruses and tender tunes imbued with the unique wit and infectious energy of a CCO production.
Charles Court Opera is one of the leading chamber opera and music theatre companies in the UK.
Appearing in H.M.S. Pinafore will be a cast of Meriel Cunningham, Jennie Jacobs, Matthew Kellett, Catrine Kirkman, Philip Lee, Matthew Palmer, Alys Roberts and Joseph Shovelton.
For tickets, visit http://maltingstheatre.co.uk/hms-pinafore
The performance will last 90 minutes without interval.