Charity band birthday night at New Greens, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
DEDICATED charity fundraiser Bob Power, who has been running bands in St Albans since 1980, will be marking his 70th birthday with a special night next Tuesday, July 9.
He will be running an informal band open night at the New Greens Residents Association in High Oaks, St Albans, at which over 20 local musicians will perform.
There will be a £3 charge and all profits go to the Stroke Association after Bob suffered a stroke two years ago from which he fought back despite fears that he might be wheelchair-bound.
He is back at work part time as a music teacher and also continues to arrange and conduct Hat Five, a group of musicians who play various styles of music, all with a jazz influence, from the early big band music of Ellington and Basie to the more modern approach of bands like Gordon Goodwin and Quincy Jones.
Hat Five also takes inspiration from the music of Herbie Hancock and Spira Gyro, as well as vocal soul groups such as Manhattan Transfer and some country music.
Bob has spent over 30 years working for the local music service and his aim has always been to make music fun.
Last year when working with the band Staje, it raised £800 for the Bailey Sarwa appeal which was set up to raise money for the treatment of a St Albans boy suffering from cancer.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 7 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Local estate agent to sponsor Chelsea Flower Show garden
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
n Anyone interested in joining Hat Five should email email@example.com, go to www.hat5.co.uk or Facebook group Hat Five Rehearsals are held on the second Tuesday of each month from 7.30pm to 10pm at the New Greens Hall.