Charity band birthday night at New Greens, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
DEDICATED charity fundraiser Bob Power, who has been running bands in St Albans since 1980, will be marking his 70th birthday with a special night next Tuesday, July 9.
He will be running an informal band open night at the New Greens Residents Association in High Oaks, St Albans, at which over 20 local musicians will perform.
There will be a £3 charge and all profits go to the Stroke Association after Bob suffered a stroke two years ago from which he fought back despite fears that he might be wheelchair-bound.
He is back at work part time as a music teacher and also continues to arrange and conduct Hat Five, a group of musicians who play various styles of music, all with a jazz influence, from the early big band music of Ellington and Basie to the more modern approach of bands like Gordon Goodwin and Quincy Jones.
Hat Five also takes inspiration from the music of Herbie Hancock and Spira Gyro, as well as vocal soul groups such as Manhattan Transfer and some country music.
You may also want to watch:
Bob has spent over 30 years working for the local music service and his aim has always been to make music fun.
Last year when working with the band Staje, it raised £800 for the Bailey Sarwa appeal which was set up to raise money for the treatment of a St Albans boy suffering from cancer.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
- 10 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
n Anyone interested in joining Hat Five should email firstname.lastname@example.org, go to www.hat5.co.uk or Facebook group Hat Five Rehearsals are held on the second Tuesday of each month from 7.30pm to 10pm at the New Greens Hall.