Chamber opera has a little list of Mikado songs
- Credit: Archant
The 130th anniversary of Gilbert and Sullivan’s opera The Mikado will be celebrated by St Albans Chamber Choir in five performances next month.
The popular opera had its premiere at the Savoy Theatre in London on March 14, 1885, and is being performed at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans from Wednesday, March 11, to Saturday, March 14.
The two songs, I’ve got a Little List, and Make the Punishment fit the Crime, have been specially rewritten to take a swipe at the irritations of local modern life.
But The Mikado still features such melodies as Three Little Maids from School and A Wandering Minstrel.
David Ireson conducts the Chamber Opera soloists, chorus and orchestra and Peter Kestner directs.
You may also want to watch:
Performances are at 7.30pm with a matinee at 2.30pm on Saturday, March 14. At the opening gala night on March 11, complimentary wine and canapes will be served in the interval.
Tickets are £18 (under 18’s £16), available from the Abbey Theatre Box office on 01727 857861 or online at www.abbeytheatre.org.uk
- 1 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Area Guide: The Childwickbury estate explored
- 5 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 6 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 7 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London