Chamber opera has a little list of Mikado songs
- Credit: Archant
The 130th anniversary of Gilbert and Sullivan’s opera The Mikado will be celebrated by St Albans Chamber Choir in five performances next month.
The popular opera had its premiere at the Savoy Theatre in London on March 14, 1885, and is being performed at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans from Wednesday, March 11, to Saturday, March 14.
The two songs, I’ve got a Little List, and Make the Punishment fit the Crime, have been specially rewritten to take a swipe at the irritations of local modern life.
But The Mikado still features such melodies as Three Little Maids from School and A Wandering Minstrel.
David Ireson conducts the Chamber Opera soloists, chorus and orchestra and Peter Kestner directs.
You may also want to watch:
Performances are at 7.30pm with a matinee at 2.30pm on Saturday, March 14. At the opening gala night on March 11, complimentary wine and canapes will be served in the interval.
Tickets are £18 (under 18’s £16), available from the Abbey Theatre Box office on 01727 857861 or online at www.abbeytheatre.org.uk
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team