CD Review: Eternal Return – Sarah Blasko
- Credit: Archant
Sometimes, just sometimes, reviewing music means you are exposed to amazing talent which otherwise may have passed you by, artists who don’t receive the exposure they deserve in the UK, and rarely feature even on the more experimental radio shows. Sarah Blasko is one such performer.
Thankfully, not only can I now enjoy the gifts of this outstanding singer-songwriter, but also have the opportunity to share my experiences to readers of this website.
Well known in her native Australia, but sadly not so much over here, Sarah is a multi-awardwinning songstress who first appeared on the Oz music scene as part of the group Acquiesce in the mid-1990s, before releasing her first solo album in 2004.
The tracks featured on Eternal Return, Sarah’s fifth studio album, are deeply personal, yet with a surprising edge, and an epic quality that transcends the sublime and draws comparisons to groups like Radiohead.
Atmospheric electronic music fuses with simplistic yet very honest storytelling to present accounts of her own experiences of love, taking the listener on an emotional journey through those giddy, early days of emotion and longing.
You may also want to watch:
But not only is she an amazing composer, Sarah also commands a voice which leaves you aching, but not sure why, and her delivery is just as much a part of the song as the melody and lyrics.
It’s said that the best songs come from heartbreak and loss, but Sarah Blasko refutes that assertion to produce an album of love songs which celebrate the joy and affirmation of finding that special person, and aren’t we the luckier for it?
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 3 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 6 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 7 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 8 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 9 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire