Carousel for Harpenden Light Operatic Society
WEST End star Lindsey Wise has lent her support to the Harpenden Light Operatic Society (HLOS) production of Carousel which runs from next Monday, March 21, to Saturday, March 26, at the Public Halls.
Lindsey played the dancing role of Louise in the last West End performance of the popular American musical with Lesley Garrett at the Savoy Theatre in 2009.
She recently met with Bianca Baikie who is playing Louise in the HLOS version of the show – the fourth time the company has staged Carousel in its 61-year history.
Lindsey’s credits include Jemima in Cats, Kim in Showboat and Meg in Phantom of the Opera and alongside her performing career, she runs West End workshops for children at Harpenden Public Halls during the school holidays.
In the HLOS production of the musical, Sam Gaines plays the lead role of carousel barker and all round bad egg Billy Bigelow – a far cry from when he first appeared with the society at the age of three as a snow child in the 1986 production.
Now best known for the Liverpool FC anthem You’ll Never Walk Alone, Carousel is the tragic tale of Billy and mill worker Julie Jordan. It follows their fate and that of middle class Enoch and Carrie and their children. Billy spends much of the show as an invisible ghost watching over his daughter as she goes through her painful teenage years.
Sally Davis is returning to HLOS to direct with Beth Thomas making her debut as a musical director for the society. The production has a cast of 40 plus more than 25 children.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
Performances are at 7.45pm Monday to Saturday with a Saturday matinee at 2.30pm. Tickets priced �8 to �13 are available from email@example.com or telephone 07817 331150.