British Strawberry Shortcake
- Credit: Archant
By Katie Delafield, Rural Surveyor, Bidwells St Albans
A delightful summer pudding perfect for entertaining
350g plain flour
You may also want to watch:
110g caster sugar
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 10 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
1 large punnet strawberries
1 pint double cream
Cut out three 25cm circles of greaseproof paper and place onto baking tins.
Cream the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Stir in the sieved flour, knead and then form into a ball and rest for around 20 minutes. Divide the mixture into three balls and roll out thinly into three circles. Place onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 160°C or gas mark 3 for at least 30 minutes until crisp and light brown. Cut one circle into 10 triangles to form the top layer of the shortcake. Leave to cool.
Just before serving, whisk the double cream and sieve in a sprinkling of icing sugar. Pipe a rosette of cream onto each triangle and then place a whole strawberry on each rosette to decorate. Chop the remaining strawberries and mix into the remaining cream.
Place one of the complete circles onto a serving plate and spread over half of the strawberries and cream. Repeat again for the middle layer and then arrange the triangles on top to form a circle and complete the shortcake.
Make me, Eat Me! by Bidwells can be bought from Bidwells St Albans, 45 Grosvenor Road, or online for £10 http://www.bidwells.co.uk/recipe-book/ All proceeds to charity including the Pepper Foundation