Brass joins choir for St Albans Abbey concert
MUSIC for choir and brass promises to lift the rafters when St Albans Chamber Choir holds a concert in the Abbey at the end of the month. Entitled Gloria, the concert is being held at 7.30pm next Saturday, February 27, and the choir, conducted by John Gib
MUSIC for choir and brass promises to lift the rafters when St Albans Chamber Choir holds a concert in the Abbey at the end of the month.
Entitled Gloria, the concert is being held at 7.30pm next Saturday, February 27, and the choir, conducted by John Gibbons, will be joined by Onyx Brass.
The principal works in the programme are The World is Charged with the Grandeur of God by Arthur Bliss, a setting of John Skelton's meditation on the Passion, Woefully Arrayed, by Mr Gibbons and one of John Rutter's most popular pieces, Gloria.
It will also feature the rarely-heard processional piece from Renaissance Peru Hanaq parchap kusikuynin (Heaven's Joy) and two examples of polychoral motets by Gabrieli - Buccinate in neomenia tuba and Exultet iam angelica.
You may also want to watch:
Short works by Schutz and Bach are on the programme together with Bruckner's motets Christus factus est and Ecce sacerdos magnus which feature the full power of the brass and organ. The Abbey's assistant master of the music Tom Winpenny will be playing the organ.
The concert begins at 7.30pm and tickets are �22.50. �17.50 and �12.50 with unreserved �5 and children/full time students �1.
- 1 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 2 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 3 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
They can be obtained from the ticket secretary on 0845 658 8982 or from the Abbey information desk on 01727 890256.