Brass joins choir for St Albans Abbey concert
MUSIC for choir and brass promises to lift the rafters when St Albans Chamber Choir holds a concert in the Abbey at the end of the month. Entitled Gloria, the concert is being held at 7.30pm next Saturday, February 27, and the choir, conducted by John Gib
MUSIC for choir and brass promises to lift the rafters when St Albans Chamber Choir holds a concert in the Abbey at the end of the month.
Entitled Gloria, the concert is being held at 7.30pm next Saturday, February 27, and the choir, conducted by John Gibbons, will be joined by Onyx Brass.
The principal works in the programme are The World is Charged with the Grandeur of God by Arthur Bliss, a setting of John Skelton's meditation on the Passion, Woefully Arrayed, by Mr Gibbons and one of John Rutter's most popular pieces, Gloria.
It will also feature the rarely-heard processional piece from Renaissance Peru Hanaq parchap kusikuynin (Heaven's Joy) and two examples of polychoral motets by Gabrieli - Buccinate in neomenia tuba and Exultet iam angelica.
You may also want to watch:
Short works by Schutz and Bach are on the programme together with Bruckner's motets Christus factus est and Ecce sacerdos magnus which feature the full power of the brass and organ. The Abbey's assistant master of the music Tom Winpenny will be playing the organ.
The concert begins at 7.30pm and tickets are �22.50. �17.50 and �12.50 with unreserved �5 and children/full time students �1.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
They can be obtained from the ticket secretary on 0845 658 8982 or from the Abbey information desk on 01727 890256.