Book Review: The Spirit Level
The Spirit Level: Why Equality Is Better For Everyone
Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett
Why are affluent countries, despite all their achievements, considered broken? This question is at the heart of this persuasive book which uses wide-ranging academic research to come to a simple conclusion – that the level of inequality in society is directly related to many social ills, such as crime, violence and poor health.
Comparing levels of social well-being across the globe, the authors find that what is key to the general health of a society is the distribution of wealth within it.
More unequal ones, such as the UK and US, have greater social problems, with all that means for social cohesion, government spending and general happiness, than relatively equal ones, such as Japan or Norway.
You may also want to watch:
An engaging call to reduce the gap between rich and poor - for everyone’s sake. ????
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall