BBC Young Musician of the Year finalist Callum Smart at University of Herts
BBC Young Musician of the Year finalist Callum Smart is joining the de Havilland Philharmonic this Sunday as guest soloist in the orchestra’s first concert of the season.
At the tender age of 13, Callum came to attention when he won the string section of the 2010 Young Musicians competition and was subsequently selected as one of the three concerto finalists. In the finals he performed Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales.
Callum began studying violin at the age of six and entered the Yehudi Menuhin School when he was nine. For the last four years he has continued his studies with Maciej Rakowski at Chetham’s School of Music.
He has appeared with orchestras all over the country and given numerous recitals including at the Lake District Summer Music Festival and the Cheltenham Festival.
The de Havilland Philharmonic will open the concert at 7.30pm in the Weston Auditorium at the University of Herts in Hatfield with Beethoven’s Egmont Overture which will be followed by Dvorak’s Violin Concerto performed by Callum.
You may also want to watch:
Brahms’ Second Symphony from 1877 concludes the concert for which tickets range from �6 to �20, available by calling 01707 281127 or online at www.herts.ac.uk/artsandgalleries
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears