BBC Young Musician of the Year finalist Callum Smart at University of Herts
BBC Young Musician of the Year finalist Callum Smart is joining the de Havilland Philharmonic this Sunday as guest soloist in the orchestra’s first concert of the season.
At the tender age of 13, Callum came to attention when he won the string section of the 2010 Young Musicians competition and was subsequently selected as one of the three concerto finalists. In the finals he performed Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales.
Callum began studying violin at the age of six and entered the Yehudi Menuhin School when he was nine. For the last four years he has continued his studies with Maciej Rakowski at Chetham’s School of Music.
He has appeared with orchestras all over the country and given numerous recitals including at the Lake District Summer Music Festival and the Cheltenham Festival.
The de Havilland Philharmonic will open the concert at 7.30pm in the Weston Auditorium at the University of Herts in Hatfield with Beethoven’s Egmont Overture which will be followed by Dvorak’s Violin Concerto performed by Callum.
You may also want to watch:
Brahms’ Second Symphony from 1877 concludes the concert for which tickets range from �6 to �20, available by calling 01707 281127 or online at www.herts.ac.uk/artsandgalleries
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge