Bard meets beat for jazz concert as part of Shakespeare Festival
- Credit: Archant
Shakespeare and All That Jazz comes to the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans next Friday, May 20, as part of the city’s Shakespeare Festival.
Jacqui Dankworth will be performing the musical settings of Shakespeare’s poetry inspired by and taken from the album Shakespeare and All That Jazz composed by her late father, Sir John Dankworth.
The concert will include such settings as Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day, O Mistress Mine and Fear No More the Heat O’ the Sun together with the story of Macbeth and a comical setting of All Shakespeare’s works.
The material has not been performed in completion by another songstress since Dame Cleo Laine, Jacqui’s mother, recorded the album Wordsongs in the 1980s. However, Jacqui did perform some of the settings at The Bear Garden Museum 30 years ago.
Jacqui is a highly regarded performer and successful touring artist as well as being a seasoned actress, having studied at the Guildhall School Of Music And Drama, where she was made a fellow.
You may also want to watch:
OVO’s Shakespeare Festival director, David Widdowson, said “It’s a real privilege to be welcoming Jacqui Dankworth to the Maltings Theatre contributing to our Shakespeare festival.
“We are absolutely delighted that she has chosen our theatre as part of her Shakespeare and All That Jazz tour continuing the strong jazz tradition at the Maltings established by the late Stan Tracey.”
Tickets can be booked online in person at St Albans Visitor Information Centre at the Alban Arena and by phone on 0333 666 3366.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area