Bank Holiday music for St Albans Abbey Girls Choir
THE acclaimed Abbey Girls Choir are giving a free concert of music spanning seven centuries on Bank Holiday Monday.
The concert will begin in the Abbey at 1pm and last around 50 minutes. It will include music by Schubert, Brahms, Mendelssohn and Leighton as well as music from the 13th Century and arrangements of classics by Jerome Kern and Henry Mancini.
The choir will be accompanied on the organ by Peter Holder, the Abbey’s Organ Scholar, who will also play solos.
Tom Winpenny, director of the choir, said: “This is a rare chance to hear the Abbey Girls Choir perform in concert. We have chosen a wide variety of music from our extensive repertoire including well-known works and more unfamiliar pieces.
“We will be performing not only sacred music – which forms the core of our repertory – but also works in a lighter vein. So there should be something for everyone!”
You may also want to watch:
Admission is free but there will be a retiring collection for the concert which starts at 1pm but is not suitable for small children. Further information is available from the Abbey information desk on 01727 860780.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly