Arena going Wilde for one-man show
AN ENTERTAINING tribute to the theatrical luminary and flamboyant socialite Oscar Wilde comes to the Alban Arena next Friday, July 2.
The tribute from Alistair Whatley takes a whistle-stop tour through Wilde’s life, taking in his work, pleasures, triumphs and troubles.
The one-man play from Micheal Mac Liammoir, toured the world in the sixties to critical acclaim and the revival is no less grand. It will feature excerpts from An Ideal Husband, The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest as well as Oscar’s poetry and selections from his personal letters and diaries.
The performance can be seen at 8pm and tickets are �13.50 with concessions �12.50, available from the box office on 01727 844488 or go to www.alban-arena.co.uk
Adoramus return to the Arena next Saturday, July 3, for a special concert commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
You may also want to watch:
The programme will include Goodwin’s Battle of Britain Suite, Elgar’s Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1, Alford’s RAF March Past, Wood’s Fantasia on British Sea Songs and John William’s Hymn for the Fallen from the film Saving Private Ryan.
The Beaumont School Vocal Ensemble will be contributing some wartime favourites and the concert will be introduced by the Chaplain-in-chief of the Royal Air Force Chaplaincy, the Venerable Ray Pentland, who will be drawing parallels between aspects of the Battle of Britain and his faith.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 7 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
The concert begins at 7.30pm and tickets are �22.50, �20 and �16 with concessions �2 off the top two prices.
n An Oscar-winning performance from Jeff Bridges in the movie Crazy Heart can be seen at the Arena from next Tuesday to Thursday, June 29 to July 1.
Bridges, who worn his first Academy Award for best actor, is Bad Blake, a broken-down, hard-living country music singer who has had way too many marriages, far too long on the road and one too many drinks.
But he reaches for salvation with the help of Jean, played by Maggie Gyllenhaal, a journalist who discovers the real man behind the musician.
Crazy Heart, which additionally won an Academy Award for best original song, also stars Robert Duvall and Ryan Bingham.
It can be seen at 7.30pm from Tuesday to Thursday with a matinee on Wednesday at 1.30pm. Tickets for the evening showings are �6 with concessions �2 off and for the matinee �4.