An education for Rita...
- Credit: Archant
Willy Russell’s iconic play and comic masterpiece Educating Rita is being performed next week at the Maltings Arts Theatre in St Albans.
Full of witty one-liners and a firm favourite with theatre-goers, the play is also an insightful comment on institutional education, the nature of self-development and personal relationships.
The well-known story of a hairdresser from Liverpool who wants to better herself is being produced by Dee Bee Productions. Director, David Berryman is full of praise for the two actors taking on the roles,
“The play is an enormous challenge, but I’ve been blessed with the outstanding talents of local actors Lucy Crick and Simon Nicholas who are continually surprising me in rehearsals, revealing the range of their acting skills.”
He added: “There are so many facets to the play; it’s not just about a woman’s journey to become educated. There are elements of love story, a quest for the meaning of life and even the playwright’s view about the snobbery in education.”
You may also want to watch:
Educating Rita is often included on school syllabuses and so the run includes two matinees at 3pm next Saturday, November 15, and Sunday, November 16 at 3pm with a special £7 concession rate for groups of 10+.
The other performances are at 8pm from Thursday, November 13, until Sunday, November 16, with tickets priced at £10/£8.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
Tickets for all shows can be purchased from www.ticketsource.co.uk/ovo or call the box office on 0333 666 3366.