Amadeus welcomes horn soloist
THE Amadeus Chamber Orchestra will be joined by the young soloist Nicholas Ireson for a performance of Strauss’s Horn Concerto no 1 In their concert next Saturday, September 29.
Nicholas was brought up in St Albans, studying at the Junior Guildhall School of Music and later at Christ Church, Oxford, and the Royal Academy of Music.
He was principal horn of the National Youth Chamber Orchestra and has since played with many of the main London orchestras. He is active as an orchestral and chamber musician and as a soloist.
Strauss’s first concerto is both energetic and tuneful in equal measure. The composer looks back to earlier age of Romanticism, and shows his love of orchestral colour to the full.
The programme at the concert, which starts at 7.30pm in St Saviour’s Church, St Albans, will also feature Dvorak’s Czech Suite. Written three years before Strauss’s concerto in 1879, it reflects the composer’s love of the dances of his homeland.
Beethoven’s Symphony no. 8 will end the programme.
Admission is �12 with students, seniors and the unemployed �9 and accompanied schoolchildren �3. Tickets are available on the door or in advance from St Albans Tourist Information Centre on 01727 864511.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 4 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 8 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close