Alban Arena's world of cinema
INTERNATIONAL Film Week at the Alban Arena gets underway next Monday, July 6, with movies from Russia, France, Germany and Israel. The first is Mongol next Monday, made by award-winning Russian film-maker Sergai Bodrov who illuminates the life and legend
INTERNATIONAL Film Week at the Alban Arena gets underway next Monday, July 6, with movies from Russia, France, Germany and Israel.
The first is Mongol next Monday, made by award-winning Russian film-maker Sergai Bodrov who illuminates the life and legend of Genghis Khan in an historical epic.
Entre Les Murs, a portrait of a year in the life of a class of Parisian middle school students, is the Tuesday film. It unfolds almost entirely within the classroom itself in a story which explores the diversity of personality and background among the students and what makes their dedicated teacher's work both challenging and rewarding.
The roots of the infamous German terrorist group, the Red Army Faction, are traced back to the turbulent events of the late 1960s in Der Baader Meinhoff Komplex next Thursday evening, July 9.
When a political riot leaves a protestor dead and an assassination attempt is made on a left-wing leader, student radicals Andreas Baader and Gudrun Ensslin join forces with Ulrike Meinhof to form a violent faction that turns to bombings, kidnapping and murder to achieve its goals.
The film week concludes next Friday, July 10, with Vals Im Bashir, an animated Israeli war film for grown-ups. Nominated for the Oscar for Best Foreign Film, it is both a psychological detective story of a private, painfully inward kind, and a politically-charged investigation.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 3 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 4 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 5 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 8 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
All the films start at 7.30pm and there are ticket offers for those who book three films. To see one film, tickets are �6 with concessions �2 off, available from the Arena box office on 01727 844488.