Al fresco Harpenden artists get together
FORGET the Pre-Raphaelites – a new art brotherhood is under way and its inaugural exhibition is being held in a Harpenden gallery.
The Plein Air Brotherhood is a group of painters who have formed a bond of camaraderie and mutual support. They are exhibiting from next Friday, September 2, until Friday, September 30, at the A&K Wilson Gallery in Station Approach.
Drew Wilson, owner of the gallery explained: “En plein air’ is the term used to describe painting outside. It is French and simply means ‘in the open air’. Painting en plein air presents the artist with a unique set of challenges.
“Light changes constantly, altering the subject hour by hour, minute by minute. Clouds can plunge a scene into darkness, sunlight throws a figure into sharp relief. Tides rise and fall, people come and go.
“The plein air painter must seize upon these moments – distilling from this evolving scene a permanent record of time and place.”
You may also want to watch:
The brotherhood consists of Adebanji Alade, Antony Bridge, Roy Connelly, John Dobbs, David Pilgrim and Karl Terry – the last of whom appeared on the BBC programme Show Me The Monet during which the judges found it hard to believe that his painting had been completed entirely on the spot in just two hours.
Three members of the group have been working in Harpenden painting local scenes for the exhibition.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 4 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 10 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure