A shot in the dark
IF you re a fan of slick, clever film-making and not necessarily a stickler for logic and socio-political accuracy, then Vantage Point which opens this week could be the film for you. Much like the TV series 24, it manages to be both intelligent and dumb
IF you're a fan of slick, clever film-making and not necessarily a stickler for logic and socio-political accuracy, then Vantage Point which opens this week could be the film for you.
Much like the TV series 24, it manages to be both intelligent and dumb at the same time.
The American president (William Hurt) is in Spain, about to sign a peace treaty when he is shot, a bomb goes off and basically all hell breaks loose. We first see this through the eyes of TV news producer Sigourney Weaver and her banks of TV screens but then we get to see the same events played out from various different perspectives, each time getting a new piece of the jigsaw.
There's jumpy secret service man Dennis Quaid and his colleague Matthew 'Jack from Lost' Fox, tourist Forest Whitaker and Spanish cop Eduardo Noriega.
You may also want to watch:
While the central gimmick is not entirely groundbreaking, it is an interesting one and the non-linear storyline makes Vantage Point stand out from the pack. Yes it's really just an action movie with cartoon villains but, in the hands of British director Pete Travis, it's pacy and fun. Don't expect any insights into global politics but enjoy the ride.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area