A A Milne-inspired songs brought to Herts Jazz Club
- Credit: Berklee College of Music
Multi-award winning American saxophonist and composer Patrick Cornelius presents a UK premiere when he appears with his octet at Herts Jazz Club on Sunday night. (7)
While We’re Still Young features songs inspired by the children’s poetry of A.A. Milne.
Originally commissioned by Chamber Music America as part of their 2012 New Jazz Works programme, the suite pays tribute to the classic whimsical adventures of Christopher Robin from Milne’s 1924 collection “When We Were Very Young”.
At the same time it gives a nod to composers like Duke Ellington, Gil Evans, Thad Jones, and Debussy, and provides the members of an all-star ensemble plenty of space for development and expression.
A native of Texas Patrick has cultivated an impressive body of work as a leader and performed his original music in some of the world’s top jazz venues. He has also played with a wide cross-section of established masters.
The gig starts at 7.30pm at the Hawthorne Theatre, Welwyn Garden City, and tickets in advance from here are £3 students/£10 members/£13 concessions/£14 full.
On the door they are £5 students/£12 members/£15 concessions/£16 full.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 10 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80