A A Milne-inspired songs brought to Herts Jazz Club
- Credit: Berklee College of Music
Multi-award winning American saxophonist and composer Patrick Cornelius presents a UK premiere when he appears with his octet at Herts Jazz Club on Sunday night. (7)
While We’re Still Young features songs inspired by the children’s poetry of A.A. Milne.
Originally commissioned by Chamber Music America as part of their 2012 New Jazz Works programme, the suite pays tribute to the classic whimsical adventures of Christopher Robin from Milne’s 1924 collection “When We Were Very Young”.
At the same time it gives a nod to composers like Duke Ellington, Gil Evans, Thad Jones, and Debussy, and provides the members of an all-star ensemble plenty of space for development and expression.
A native of Texas Patrick has cultivated an impressive body of work as a leader and performed his original music in some of the world’s top jazz venues. He has also played with a wide cross-section of established masters.
The gig starts at 7.30pm at the Hawthorne Theatre, Welwyn Garden City, and tickets in advance from here are £3 students/£10 members/£13 concessions/£14 full.
You may also want to watch:
On the door they are £5 students/£12 members/£15 concessions/£16 full.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public