21 not out for St Albans Choral Society director
- Credit: Archant
Twenty one years with their music director George Vass is being celebrated by St Albans Choral Society with a summer concert next Saturday, July 9.
The concert, with Bushey Symphony Orchestra (BSO) which Mr Vass also conducts, will feature Schubert’s Unfinished Symphony and Mendelssohn’s Symphony-cantata Lobgesang (Hymn of Praise).
It is being held at 7.30pm in the Grand Hall at Bushey Academy in London Road, Bushey.
Society chair, Rod Cowper, said: “We’re delighted to be marking our long association with George in this way, Under his dynamic musical leadership, the society has developed into one of Hertfordshire’s leading choral ensembles. We much appreciate the way he creates exciting programmes of classical greats and contemporary works and keeps challenging us to achieve greater things.”
Mr Vass, who is renowned for his enthusiasm for community music-making and for promoting up-and-coming singers, has also been music director to the BSO for 30 years and joked: “I’m really celebrating my 51st with the two musical organisations.”
You may also want to watch:
He went on: “Both orchestra and choir work amazingly hard to achieve the excellent performances for which they have rightly become known. I am greatly honoured that both groups wish to celebrate our mutual association in this way.”
The three vocal soloists in the Bushey concert are sopranos Pippa Goss and Áine Cook, and tenor Christopher Bowen. Tickets are available at £18, £15, £1 children, or £17, £14, £1 children if pre-booked online or by telephone at BSO ticket line 07467 248 258.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 8 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 9 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 10 Columban Cycling Club take on 'The Italian Job' for Home-Start Herts