The Greatest Showman coming to outdoor cinema at St Albans Cathedral
- Credit: Mark Sims
Hit movie musical The Greatest Showman will be screened in the grounds of St Albans Cathedral next month – with ticket holders able to pay what they can to see it.
The fifth annual international St Albans Film Festival runs from Tuesday, June 26 to Sunday, July 1, with the packed programme including a special open air screening of The Greatest Showman.
The record-breaking movie starring Hugh Jackman as P. T. Barnum will open five days of outdoor cinema in the shadow of St Albans Cathedral.
Films will be projected onto a giant screen in the Cathedral’s grounds every day from June 27 to July 1, with the line-up including family films, Hollywood blockbusters and iconic movies.
Matt Bigg, festival director along with festival founder Leoni Kibbey, said: “We are delighted to be once more holding this fantastic event of open-air cinema in the stunning setting of the Abbey Orchard.
You may also want to watch:
“I cannot believe there is a more beautiful location for an outdoor cinema in the whole of the country.
“We are very grateful to St Albans Cathedral for supporting this event, and allowing the public to watch incredible movies in such an incredible place.”
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
As part of this year’s open-air season, organisers will be putting on the city’s first-ever affordable cinema.
The screening of The Greatest Showman on Wednesday, June 27 at 3.30pm will be a ‘pay what you can afford’ event.
With ‘speed’ being the 2018 film festival theme, other movies to be shown at St Albans Cathedral include Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Bridget Jones’s Diary, and Sing.
The programme also includes Marvel superhero blockbuster Black Panther, Days of Thunder, Talladega Nights, Chariots of Fire and the Oscar-winning Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
2018 ST ALBANS FILM FESTIVAL PROGRAMME
Cinema at St Albans Cathedral
• THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Wednesday, June 27 from 3.30pm to 6.30pm.
• FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF
Wednesday, June 27 from 6.30pm to 10pm.
• BRIDGET JONES’S DIARY
Thursday, June 28 from 6.30pm to 10pm.
Friday, June 29 from 10am to noon.
• BLACK PANTHER
Friday, June 29 from 3.30pm to 6.30pm.
• THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
Friday, June 29 from 7pm to 10.30pm.
• DOUBLE BILL – DAYS OF THUNDER / TALLADEGA NIGHTS
Saturday, June 30 from 6pm to 10.30pm
• CHARIOTS OF FIRE
Sunday, July 1 from 1pm to 4pm.
• For more on the festival and to buy tickets, visit www.stalbansfilmfestival.com