Celebrate 100 years of the Hertfordshire WI with Gyles Brandreth
- Credit: Daniel Wilson
Members of the public can join Hertfordshire WI for an exclusive presentation by Gyles Brandreth to mark the federation’s centenary.
Author, actor and former MP Gyles Brandreth will be at the Herts WI’s annual meeting in St Albans this week.
100 Years of the Hertfordshire WI with Gyles Brandreth takes place at The Alban Arena on Tuesday, April 9 at 2pm.
They say all political careers end in tears, but in Gyles Brandreth’s case it’s tears of laughter as the broadcaster takes WI members and guests on a rollercoaster ride around the world.
After a hugely successful, five-star-rated run at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2018, Gyles will be celebrating words and language, revealing some of the secrets of happiness he discovered (with the help of Dr Anthony Clare) and explaining why he believes in the importance and value of the Woman’s Institute – even though he can never be a member!
You may also want to watch:
A former Oxford Scholar, President of the Oxford Union and ex-MP for Chester, Gyles Brandreth’s career has ranged from being a Whip and Lord Commissioner of the Treasury in John Major’s government to starring in his own award-winning musical revue in London’s West End.
A prolific broadcaster, Gyles has appeared on QI (BBC Two), Have I Got News For You (BBC One), Room 101 (BBC1), Just A Minute (BBC Radio 4), and is a reporter and presenter for The One Show (BBC One), as well as Dictionary Corner’s most frequent resident on Countdown (Channel 4).
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
On stage, he has appeared in Hamlet and The Importance of Being Earnest.
He is the Chancellor of the University of Chester, a columnist for The Oldie and the author of seven Victorian murder mysteries featuring Oscar Wilde as his detective now published in 22 countries around the world.
His Sunday Times best-sellers include a biography of The Queen, Word Play, The 7 Secrets of Happiness, and, most recently, Have You Eaten Grandma?
Tickets for 100 Years of the WI With Gyles Brandreth cost £17.50.
• Call the box office on 01727 844488 or book online at www.alban-arena.co.uk