Youthful Colney Heath enjoy deserved win over Wembley

Former Hatfield Town man Ian Hurst scored his first goal for Colney Heath as they beat Wembley 3-1.

Former Hatfield Town man Ian Hurst scored his first goal for Colney Heath as they beat Wembley 3-1. Picture: HARRY HUBBARD - Credit: Archant

A young Colney Heath side showed all the enthusiasm of youth as they surged to a 3-1 home win over Wembley.

With just two players older than 25, and two 16-year-olds in the side, the Magpies scored early.

And unlike their Newcastle United counterparts earlier on at Chelsea, they were in no mood to let that go.

Ian Hurst got the first on eight minutes and it was 2-0 five minutes later when one of Heath’s teenagers, Harry Shepherd, scored from out wide, although the goalkeeper played a big part in it.

Wembley scored the goal of the match to narrow the gap but with half-time looming Reece Cameron made it 3-1 and despite better possession for the visitors in the second half, that was that.

The victory was well-deserved for Colney and coupled with Harpenden Town’s 2-1 success over Oxhey Jets, it has lifted them up a place in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division table to 15th.

Joe Newton had the first chance of the game for the hosts on three minutes but they soon had their noses in front.

Most Read

Carl Carr broke down the right and was his cross was only half-cleared, Hurst buried it low and hard from the edge of the area.

The second arrived five minutes later.

A decent move got the ball to Shepherd on the right-side of the box. He let out a howl of anguish as his cross looped high in the air but it was soon replaced by a whoop of delight as the goalkeeper made a complete hash of things and batted the ball into the net.

Carr came within inches of connecting with a Tom Carter cross and then the winger got onto the end of a Shepherd through-ball just before the advancing Wembley keeper, but he could only poke it wide of the post.

Wembley produced a stunner eight minutes from half-time to halve the deficit, whipped over Steven Cunningham’s head from 25 yards out into the bottom corner.

But the two-goal lead was restored right on half-time.

Carter provided yet another fine delivery from the left, this one low and hard, and Cameron defelcted the ball in with the keeper sprawling in front of him.

The second half saw Wembley pressure far more than they had in the first period but the Magpies’ defence, marshalled well by Spencer Clarke-Mardel and Jack Robertson ,were never unduly threatened.

In fact Cameron and Carr both had chances to extend the lead further but they didn’t have luck on their side.

It didn’t matter though and the Colney will now turn their attention to Tuesday’s game with Edgware Town, with the over-flowing confidence of youth coursing theough the side.